Nose blocked with thick mucus means nasal congestion. Swelling in nasal membrane becomes reason of blocked nose. Swelling in lining of nasal passage occurs due to cold, flu and allergies etc. Due to swelling in lining of nasal passage more blood flow towards nose blood vessels and they get blocked due to inflammation. Nasal congestion makes it difficult to do normal day to day activities if not treated. Nasal congestion leads to various health problems like sleepless nights, difficulties in breathe, pain in area around nose, ear infections and headache.
To get relief from nasal congestion consultation with doctor can be done and he can give medication to treat allergies or flu which is reasons for blocked nose and it takes time for infections to get over. Temporary relief from nasal congestion is must to sleep properly and to do work properly in the office. Temporary relief from nasal congestion can be received from natural products available at home.
Natural Home Remedies to Get Rid of Nasal Congestion
1. Saline Water
Saline water is the most common home remedy to get rid of blocked nose. Even doctors prescribe saline water spray to clear nose. I remember doctor prescribed nasal spray for my son to get rid of nasal congestion and this spray was saline water. Saline water helps in thinning of mucus which is the reason of blocked nose. Saline water can be easily made at home rather than buying saline water sprays from market.
- Make a solution by mixing salt in warm water.
- Put 7-8 drops of saline water in each nostril while lying down.
- Make sure that you lie down for few minutes so that it goes down deep and do its work.
- Repeat it every 2 to 3 hours in a day to get rid of nasal congestion.
Steam is the most recommended home remedy to get relief from nasal congestion. Steam helps in reducing thick mucus which is the reason of blocked nose. Inhaling steam two to three times a day increases chances to get rid of nasal congestion.
- Boil two to three cups of water.
- Place your face above the bowl but make sure that your face is at some distance otherwise there are chances that you get burns with hot water.
- Place a towel or cloth on head in such way so that you can properly inhale steam.
- Inhale steam for about 10 minutes and blow your nostrils to blow out mucus to get relief from congestion.
- Try to take steam at least 2 times a day for fast relief.
- Even you can put basil leaves or peppermint oil in boiling water as they double up chances to get rid of nasal congestion.
3. Nasal Irrigation
Nasal irrigation is one ancient technique to clear nose. It is a difficult method but effective one to get rid of nasal congestion. Irrigating nasal passage with saline water helps in removing mucus which results in relief from congestion. Make sure it should be done with neti pot or cup with spout. If this is done regularly then chances of getting blocked nose decreases to great extent.
- Make saline water by dissolving salt in warm water.
- Put this solution in neti pot or utensil having spout.
- Insert spout in one nostril and tilt you head to opposite side so that solution you put from one nostril get out from other nostril.
- Do it with both nostrils alternately.
- With regular nasal irrigation one can get rid of congestion quickly and doing it on daily basis even prevents from getting stuffy nose.
Swelling in lining of nasal passage leads to nasal congestion. Swelling may occur due to infections so by treating these infections one can get rid of nasal congestion. Fenugreek because of its anti-inflammatory properties can be a natural home remedy to remove thick mucus reason of nasal congestion.
- Crush few fenugreek seeds and add them to a cup of water.
- Boil this solution for few minutes.
- Drink it after sometime but it should be warm.
- Take this warm drink made of fenugreek seeds twice a day to get relief from nasal congestion.
5. Spicy Foods
Anything spicy will help to get relief from nasal congestion because spicy food helps to reduce the thickness of mucus in the nose. Idea behind eating spicy foods in blocked nose is that whenever you eat you have your nose running or water from eyes. Don’t try this remedy when you have sore throat as it will make your throat worse.
- Increase quantity of green chillies or red chillies in vegetables or soup.
- Try eating raw green chilly during lunch or dinner.
- Spread more quantity of black pepper on salads or fruits.
6. Hot Herbal Tea
Anything hot will do great help to get rid of nasal congestion. What other than a cup of warm herbal tea is better? Make herbal tea with use of basil, peppermint and other herbs and drink it while warm and it will reduce thick mucus in nose. You can drink 2 cups in a day to get rid of nasal congestion fast.
7. Black Pepper
As we discussed above anything spicy can help in getting rid of nasal congestion. Aroma of black pepper is very strong; it can be used in blowing out the thick mucus and relief from nasal congestion.
- Inhale the smoke of black pepper powder heated in pan. You will start sneezing for some time and don’t make efforts to stop it.
- Sneezing will help to thin down the mucus and give relief from congested nose.
- Another way to use is make mixture of black pepper powder and few drops of sesame oil.
- Apply this mixture under nose. Strong aroma of black pepper creates sensation in the nose and sneezing is normal.
- Sneezing helps to get mucus out and feel relieved from blocked nose.
- Repetition can be done according to comfort level.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar because of anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties is a very useful natural remedy to get relief from nasal congestion. Regular use of apple cider vinegar helps to protect from various infections like cold and flu which are common cause behind nasal congestion. It even helps in getting relief during blocked nose.
- Mix apple cider vinegar in one cup of warm water.
- Drink it twice in a day and you will get relief from nasal congestion.
9. Warm Compress
Suffering from blocked nasal passage then warm compress is natural remedy to get rid of thick mucus blocked in nasal passage. Anything warm will help in thinning the mucus and maintaining in regular flow throw nasal passage.
- Use of humidifier in room really helps in keeping nostrils moist and protects from clogged nasal passage.
- Steam bath is one more option to get rid of nasal congestion.
- Place a piece of cloth soaked in warm water on face and take rest for 15 minutes.
- It will give relief from blocked nose and improves your breathe.
10. Warm Soup or Tea
A cup of strong tea or soup can give relief from nasal congestion. A cup of tomato soup or chicken soup in congested nose will open up clogged nose. Make sure you use fresh tomatoes while make tomato soup as it will give more health benefits also then packed soups available in market. If you don’t like soup then you can drink a cup of tea by adding various spices and herbs.
11. Always Remain Hydrated
Nasal congestion happens because thick mucus in the nasal passage gets blocked. By keeping body hydrated all the time decreases the chances of mucus getting thick. Always drink 8 to 10 glasses of water in a day so that adequate water in the body keeps mucus thin and proper flow through nasal passage.
Besides these above natural remedies one can eat garlic cloves, onions and ginger as these have decongesting properties which help in getting relief from nasal congestion. These natural methods can give temporary relief but permanent relief is possible with removal of infection or allergies from body. You can take medicines with consultation of doctor to remove allergies and infections.