Mouth ulcers are open sores of white color with red border appearing inside the cheeks, lips and under the tongue. These are not a major health problem but quite painful and irritating. Deficiency of vitamins like B and C, iron, stress, certain food items, hereditary, constipation, acidity and hormonal changes are common reasons behind open sores in mouth.
Mouth ulcers are very irritating and eating food become very difficult because it pains a lot due to spices in food. These are not dangerous because they go away by own within 3 to 10 days. Combinations of many ulcers are even more irritating and take more time to disappear. If mouth ulcers take more time to disappear then doctor consultation is must. Pain and irritation makes life hell as one cannot enjoy meal so relief from pain is required and to get this natural home remedies are best.
Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers with Natural Remedies Treatment
Coconut is a rich source of vitamins like C, B1, B3 and B6 along with iron, magnesium, phosphorus and more. Mouth ulcers can be result of deficiency of various nutrients and vitamins so coconut can be used to treat mouth ulcers naturally. Coconut in any form like coconut milk, oil and coconut water all are useful in treating ulcers.
How to Use
- Rinse mouth ulcers with coconut milk by gargling. Do it 3 times a day to get relief from pain and mouth ulcers.
Apply coconut oil on mouth ulcers or you can gargle with coconut oil also for few minutes. Repeat it at least 3 times in a day to get rid of these painful ulcers.
- Coconut water is very tasty and sweet so simply drink fresh coconut water of green coconuts. Rich contents of nutrients helps in reducing deficiency of various nutrients which cause mouth ulcers. Coconut water due to soothing properties acts as a pain reliever. Try to drink at least 2 glass of coconut water in a day for 2-3 days continuously to get rid of mouth ulcers.
2. Salt water
Salt water because of antiseptic properties can be natural product to treat mouth ulcers. Salt water helps to get relief from pain.
How to Use
- Take half glass of water and add some salt in it. Take a sip of salt water and swish it in mouth for 30 seconds and throw it out. Do it repeatedly until the salt water finishes. For fast relief try it 2 to 3 times in a day.
3. Basil Leaves
Basil leaves are natural herbs available to treat various health problems. Anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties help to get rid of mouth ulcers.
How to Use
- Chew 3-4 basil leaves after washing. Juice that comes out while chewing helps in treating mouth ulcers. For fast relief do it 2 times a day.
- If you don’t like chewing then make paste of basil leaves by grinding them. Apply this paste on mouth ulcers 3 times a day to get rid of them.
4. Coriander Leaves
Coriander leaves are useful in treating mouth ulcers. Make coriander an important ingredient of your food because it is rich source of calcium, iron, vitamins and minerals. If coriander is regular item of your food then chances of getting mouth ulcers decreases to great extent even still you get mouth ulcer then fresh coriander leaves and even seeds can be used to get relief from pain ulcers pain.
How to Use
- Boil some fresh coriander leaves in a glass of water. After boiling keep it aside for few hours so that it comes to normal temperature. Gargle with this water. Do it for minimum 2 times in a day to get relief from ulcers.
- If fresh leaves are not available then seeds can be used in boiling water.
5. Raw Onions or Juice
Eat onion in salad regularly to get rid of mouth ulcers. Presence of antioxidants in onion makes it a natural home remedy to treat and prevent mouth ulcers. Even though there is a problem of bad breath after eating onion but it can be useful remedy.
How to Use
- Chew few slices of onion and keep juice in mouth for some time that comes while chewing before swallowing or you can get juice by grinding and apply this juice on mouth ulcers to get rid of them.
6. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera gel extracted from fresh leaves can be useful remedy to get relief from mouth ulcers. Presence of amino acids, vitamins like B1, B2 and B6 due to which deficiency ulcers occur. Soothing properties and cool nature of aloe vera helps to reduce pain and heal mouth ulcers. Aloe Vera because of these properties is important ingredient of various medicines also.
How to Use
- Get gel from fresh aloe vera leaves by peeling off its outer layer. Apply this gel on mouth ulcers and get relief from pain. Apply gel on ulcers 3 times in a day to heal mouth ulcers quickly.
7. Baking Soda
Acidity can be reason behind mouth ulcers so in that case baking soda can be very useful to treat them as it helps in maintaining acid level in body. Antibacterial properties of baking soda make it a natural home remedies to treat mouth ulcers by killing harmful bacteria and decreases chances of infections.
How to Use
- Gargle with water by adding baking soda in it. Do it again and again until baking soda mixed water finishes. It will help in removing all germs and fasten the healing.
- Make paste of baking soda by adding few drops of water. Apply it directly on ulcers. Repeat it 2 times a day to get relief quickly. Don’t be afraid of burning sensation of baking soda. Bear it to get relief from mouth ulcers discomforts.
8. Honey and Turmeric
Honey and turmeric because of anti-inflammatory properties can be useful natural home remedy to treat mouth ulcers. Mixture of both even fastens the healing. Sweet taste of honey make you think of trying it.
How to Use
- Make paste by mixing turmeric and honey. Apply this paste on mouth ulcers to get rid of them. Don’t forget to apply it 3 times in a day to get relief faster.
Anything cool with really help you in getting relief from pain which mouth ulcers cause. Applying ice on mouth ulcers will give burning sensation initially but ultimately relief from pain for some time. Ice can be used to reduce pain for moment but it can’t remove mouth ulcers.
Yogurt is a natural home remedy to treat mouth ulcers because yogurt has good bacteria in it which helps in getting rid of mouth ulcers. Yogurt helps in getting rid of constipation is the reason behind mouth ulcers. Eating small portions of yogurt three times a day will be very beneficial. Honey can be added to enhance taste and honey itself is a natural product to treat mouth ulcers as discussed above so by adding honey speed of healing doubles.
11. Proper Diet
Most of time mouth ulcers occur because of problem in diet. Taking diet which is short of fibre, iron and Vitamins like B and C and deficiency of these become reason of mouth ulcers. So by making changes in diet one can get rid of mouth ulcers. Eat green leafy vegetables like beans, spinach, cabbage etc and fruits like banana, apple, oranges and many more. Eat food item which are rich source of vitamin B like almonds and walnut. I would even suggest eat less spicy and acidic food because acidity can also become reason for mouth ulcers.
Other than these make exercise a regular habit because it helps in keeping person fit and healthy. If a person is healthy means have strong immunity which reduces the chances of getting mouth ulcers. Take proper rest and sleep because lack of sleep means stress which leads to mouth ulcers. Keep your body hydrated all the time by drinking water regularly.
Try these home remedies as a first option to treat mouth ulcers rather than taking OTC medicines to get rid of them.