1) Swap your morning bowl of cereal for low-fat yogurt mixed with blueberries and walnuts. You’ll be adding live and active cultures, rich antioxidants, and integral omega-3 fatty acids to your morning with this tasty all-in-one breakfast.
2) Do calf raises, squats, pushups, or crunches while you wait for that warm winter bath to fill up or during the commercials of your favorite TV show. Being fit is all about good habits. Look for small empty spaces within your daily routine and start using them to exercise. Not only will these short sessions give you boosts of energy throughout the day, but they can add up to real changes in your body.
3) Drink a full glass of water each morning before heading for the coffee pot or the vending machine in the office. Instead of swearing off your favorite morning beverage altogether, try drinking a glass of water first. You’ll be more hydrated and less likely to guzzle down a sugary drink afterward.
4) Stretch. It only takes a few minutes, and once you get in the habit of stretching every day, it will seem as natural as brushing your teeth. Stretching can reduce the risk of certain injuries, help alleviate lower back pain, and get you motivated to exercise more often.
5) Spend more time cleaning. When you’re just not in the mood for a workout, cleaning can get you moving and motivated. You will feel better all around when your home, your car, and your workspace are clean, and you’ll burn calories in the process!
6) Have a two course meal. Get in the habit of eating a salad with a low-calorie dressing before dinner. Filling up on veggies will make it easier to lower portion size and avoid binging.
7) Discover black rice. You can find it at your local organic or health food store. Not only is black rice a good source of fiber; it is also full of antioxidants similar to those found in fruits and vegetables.
8) Use mouthwash once a day. Many of us feel that mouthwash is optional. While it is true that brushing and flossing are the most important ways to ensure dental health, mouthwash kills bacteria left behind that could cause gingivitis or bad breath. Look for a mouthwash that contains fluoride, an ingredient that helps prevent dental cavities.
9) Drink tea. If you drink more than one cup of coffee a day, try replacing one cup with tea instead. Some people who may not like their coffee without cream and sugar find that they do enjoy plain tea. Drinking tea is a great way to eliminate calories while benefitting from its antioxidants and calming aroma.
10) Use a moisturizer. The moisturizer you choose doesn’t need to be fancy or expensive, but moisturizing your skin daily can help counteract the effects of frequent hot showers or baths, pollution, sun damage, and stress. Look for a non-irritating, simple moisturizer such as Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion or CeraVe Moisturizing Cream.